Visualising Your Way to Calm and Confident
Try this visualisation to help you become more calm and confident in your daily life. To prepare, close your eyes and relax your body fully, breathing through your nose in a fully comfortable and supported position for a few minutes.
- Imagine there is a full-length mirror in front of you and you are looking at your reflection. Your reflection shows you sometime in the near future looking calm and confident.
- What do you look like? How do you feel? Maybe notice your relaxed jaw line and shoulders, the smile on your face, your fit physique, the twinkle in your eyes.
- Choose an outfit that you don’t normally wear and put it on. Maybe it’s something you have only dreamed of wearing? Maybe it’s something that makes your feel really confident? What does it feel like to wear these clothes? How do you look in your different clothes? You look relaxed and confident. Your shoulders are pulled back, your head is tilted back, and you are smiling. Notice the colours and the textures of the clothes you are wearing and the lines of your fit healthy body.
- Look at yourself in the mirror from all angles. Move, jump around, dance like a confident person. Pose!
- Really experience (see, hear, feel) what it feels like to be calm and confident as if it has already happened.
- Now imagine that the mirror is a magic mirror, allow it wrap itself around you, firmly encasing yourself in that mirror image of the calm and confident you. This image now becomes part of you and your inner mind.
- When you are ready slowly open your eyes and have a big stretch. If you are in bed you can drift into a peaceful sleep.
In addition to this exercise, take a mental snapshot of yourself looking calm and confident. Keep this in your mind’s eye, like a photograph. Refer back to this image whenever you need to remind yourself of how calm and confident you are becoming. Eventually you will be able to get a sense of this image without even closing your eyes, so it can be with you whenever you need it. Keep this picture as a point of reference using it whenever you have a negative thought or feel anxious. Remember the snapshot of you looking calm and confident. By doing this exercise you are de-programming your mind away from negative images and re-programming your body and mind to accept the new you. Keep practising seeing the ‘new you’ in your mind’s eye – practice as often as you can. The more you do it the easier and more convincing it becomes until your inner mind accepts this perception as a reality not just a wish.
You could imagine yourself calm and confident when you:
- Wake up and prepare breakfast.
- Go shopping
- Are soaking in the bath
- Going to the restaurant
- Socialising with friends
The key to this exercise is to allow you to feel what it is like to be calm and confident as if it has already happened.