Heavy-metal toxicity is common in our industrialised society, where we are exposed to many toxic elements like mercury, aluminium, nickel and lead. Our bodies can struggle to eliminate these harmful components, which have been associated with hormonal imbalances, thyroid problems, neurological disturbances, learning problems, depression, inflammation, food allergies, insomnia, anxiety and impaired energy production.
Coriander has been proven to chelate toxic metals from our bodies quite effectively. The word chelate comes from the Greek word for claw, and describes a process which acts to engulf and then enable the removal of a highly reactive toxic mineral.
Combined with the benefits of the other ingredients, the following recipe is an excellent cleanser and detoxification support. It is tasty and simple to make and can be added to salads in olive as a dressing, baked on fish, meat and tofu, used as a sauce on vegetables or pasta and in any other way you fancy!
Two teaspoons of this coriander pesto daily for three weeks is purportedly enough to increase the urinary excretion of mercury, lead, and aluminium, thus effectively removing these toxic metals from our bodies. Consider doing this cleanse for three weeks at least once a year. Do seek out organic dulse (seaweed) as its ability to attract toxic metals means the non-organic variety can be high in these.
Coriander Chelation Pesto
- 4 cloves organic garlic
- 1/3 cup organic Brazil nuts (selenium source)
- 1/3 cup organic sunflower seeds (cysteine source; detoxifying amino acid)
- 1/3 cup organic pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium sources)
- 2 cups packed fresh organic Coriander (Vitamin A source and mercury chelator)
- 2/3 cup organic flaxseed oil
- 4 tablespoons organic lemon juice (Vitamin C source)
- 2 tsp. organic Dulse powder – powdered seaweed (or other if dulse not available)
- Finely chop or grind the nuts and seeds, process the coriander and flaxseed oil in a blender until the coriander is chopped and then add the nuts and seeds for a final mix.
- Add the garlic, dulse and lemon juice and blend until the mixture is finely smoothed into a paste.
- Add a squirt of Bragg’s (or other) Liquid Aminos to taste and blend again.
- Store in dark glass jars if possible.
- It freezes well, so purchase coriander in season and fill enough jars to last through the year.
- You can also add the pesto to olive oil for a dressing.