Tilton House, nr Lewes, E.Sussex – January 29th-31st 2016
prices from £320 (sharing) to £420 (single) – see below
This retreat is in the luxurious setting of beautiful Tilton House, for a weekend of calm, contemplation and self-care.
Nestled underneath the South Downs and edged by woodland with far reaching views across the Sussex Weald, Tilton House sits impressively in the natural landscape, offering the peace and space for nurture and letting go of whatever is ready to leave.
Our lives, bodies and minds go through continual and natural cycles of gathering and letting go. The ‘new year resolution’ can often have the effect of forcing these issues when we may not be ready and give ourselves a hard time when they don’t stick! This weekend expands Charlotte’s popular annual workshop of the same name – bringing a deep mindful and sensory mix of breath attention, yoga postures, somatic awareness (felt sense) and meditation to explore what we’re truly ready to release and be present for the process of clearing out ready to make space for what the coming year might bring.
Making space to allow what is ready to leave takes compassion and courage and you will be guided and held in a safe space to move in at whatever depth you are ready to meet. With only 10 students maximum, you will have the attention to be as supported or independent as you need at any time. This also allows for any discussion within a small, safe group, in which you are free to talk or just listen. Usually this is of a brief nature and may just be one or two words to describe our experience.
Charlotte has been running retreats for many years and has a reputation for helping students feel present, embodied and to practice with a smile. Mixing mindfulness within yoga practice and through meditation space and personal exploration is a profound and enjoyable way to let go off the stresses of day-to-day life. New Year is a great time to take stock and meet how we really feel about how we are living and meeting the world and others.
This retreat will be dedicated to guiding you to feel calm, connected, restored, rejuvenated and content – a great place to move into the year. There will be a more energising practice in the morning, with relaxation and restoration in the afternoon session. You will have plenty of time to relax, walk and explore, as well as optional nutrition talk, silent walks and evening meditation. See weekend content below.
- Two yoga sessions daily – opening and energising in the morning and relaxing and restoring before dinner. Suitable for all levels and modifications always available.
- Optional nutrition talks and silent walk (weather permitting)
- Optional evening meditation
- Lovely food using mostly organic ingredients, to Charlotte’s specifications from The De-Stress Effect and individual needs can be catered for.
- Feel free to contact Charlotte with any questions at all.
- Shared ensuite room (with one other) standard rate £350 – early-bird rate* £320 – 2 shared places left only
- Single ensuite room standard rate £450 – early-bird rate* £420 – fully booked
- Included: all food, yoga, silent walk & accommodation
- Not included: travel
*early-bird rate if booked before 6 weeks of the start date
Happy feedback from previous yoga retreats with Charlotte:
“It was a brilliant weekend – your kindness and firm but gentle holding of the sessions was perfect and much appreciated.” Joanne, Sussex
“Thanks so much for a wonderful week – you’re a super teacher. I honestly can’t remember when last I felt as relaxed and well as I did coming home.” – Olive, Brussels
This Georgian country house was once home to economist John Maynard Keynes and ballerina Lydia Lopokova as their retreat for contemplation and calm. London is only an hour away and Brighton a 20 min car journey. Glyndebourne is just 10 minutes by car. Charleston Farmhouse, home to the Bloomsbury set, shares the same private road, which winds into a network of footpaths that is The South Downs Way. Walk up onto the downs and find expansive views over the English Channel, stirring to the soul on any day.
The house was completely redecorated in May 2007, and all 7 bedrooms were decorated using natural materials. Every room has plenty of character and all have views over either the Sussex Weald or Downs. The garden has many mature trees, you could sling one of the many hammocks and relax to the sound of birdsong. For the more energetic there is a tennis court hidden behind a row of ash trees. The firepit in a woodland clearing provides the perfect setting for spinning yarns and stargazing as night closes in. It’s known that Lydia Lopokova the Russian Ballerina was inspired to dance on the lawns under the moonlight.
Weekend’s Sample Programme (some timings may differ):
All activities are optional but it is best for the group if you try to participate in most, especially the yoga sessions. Time for different ways of time for personal reflection through writing will be offered at the end of each practice, so bring a notebook and pen!
- 4pm – arrival and tea
- 5–7pm yoga – releasing and opening somatic practice through to restorative, letting go via the breath
- 7.30pm – dinner
- 9-10pm – mindfulness meditation
- sleep well!
- 8–9am – breakfast
- 10am-12pm yoga – energising and heart-opening release
- 1-2pm – lunch
- 2-5pm – free time to explore, walk, chill out….
- Includes optional 3-4pm – silent walk
- 4.15pm – The De-Stress Effect nutrition & lifestyle talk: Recognising & Releasing Our Habits & Patterns
- 5-7pm yoga – mindful and restorative with letting go practices
- 7.30pm – dinner
- 9-10pm – restorative yoga and mindfulness meditation
- 8–9am – breakfast
- 10am-12pm yoga – energising and releasing; focus on kindness to ourselves
- 1-2pm – lunch
- 2.30-3.30pm – grounding yoga and reflection to take home
- 4pm – departure
- January 29th-31st 2015
- 2 nights from £320 (sharing) to £420 (single) – see room prices above
- Price is per person based on accommodation as arranged and includes all food, yoga tuition and optional nutrition talks. It does not incude travel costs.
Payment terms and booking:
A non-refundable deposit of £80 is required to confirm your place*. The balance is due no less than 6 weeks prior to the event and can be paid with credit or debit card or by any of the methods below. You may also pay in full at the time of booking if you prefer or in installments if arranged. Bookings made less than 6 weeks prior to the event must be paid in full.
* if I can fill all 10 places, deposit can be transferred to a future retreat if you need to change
To send me £80 to reserve your place, you can pay in one of the following ways and email me to let me know how money is on its way:
- Click here to be redirected to Paypal to pay from your account or with debit or credit card (even if you don’t have a Paypal account).
- Send a cheque payable to Charlotte Watts to Top Flat, 60 Old Shoreham Rd, Brighton BN1 5DD
- Transfer directly into my bank account: Ms Charlotte Watts, Cooperative Bank, Sort code 089299, Account number 69243840
Please include your full name and the dates of the week/s you would like to book. I will send you back a form to complete your booking.
You will be the contacted for the remaining balance to be paid 6 weeks before the start date of the retreat.
Please note that whilst I will do everything possible to adhere to the programme and details laid out above, some things are outside my control, and therefore I reserve the right to make changes if necessary.
Off the A27 midway between Eastbourne and Brighton, 7 miles east of Lewes, between the villages of Firle and Selmeston.
Take the turn off the A27 sign-posted “Charleston Farmhouse”.
Go over the cattle grid and follow the broken private road.
Go PAST the turn off for Charleston Farmhouse.
After which the road bends left, with the South Downs on your right.
As soon as you reach a barn directly in front of you, take a small track LEFT past signs FIRLE ESTATE PRIVATE.
Continue on to the end and over the cattle grid onto a gravel driveway.
You are at Tilton House. Park up and call at the front door.
Rail: There is a regular service from London Victoria to Lewes, running every 30 minutes. The nearest station is Berwick, approximatley 2 miles from Tilton. For train time information please call National Rail Enquiries on 08457 484950 or visit www.nationalrail.co.uk. There are usually a few people travelling by train on each retreat, so you can be put in touch to share taxis from the station.
The countryliner service 125 runs from Lewes on Wednesdays to Friday. Call Traveline on 0870 6082608 or visit www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk for timetable details.
The Cuckmere Community Bus runs on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from April to September, for timetable information please call 01323 870 920 or visit www.cuckmerebus.freeuk.com.
Terms and Conditions of Booking: Deposits are non-refundable and expressing an interest in a holiday cannot hold a place without a deposit. Please note the balance of holidays and retreats is due in full at least 6 weeks before the holiday starts. Failure to do so may result in re allocation of your place. Cancellations cannot be refunded within 6 weeks of the holiday. Cancellation 6-10 weeks prior to the holiday will get 50% refund. Individual holiday insurance is recommended to be taken out at the time of booking. Prices do not include travel costs. Rooms are shared unless stated otherwise and allocated pre holiday. Preferences to be given to Charlotte at time of booking. Booking is taken as acceptance of these conditions.